Thursday, September 27, 2012

What our future holds

I've learned over the years of being the daughter of an Army office and now an Army Wife that you just cannot make plans. No matter what plans you make, something (meaning the Army) will come in and stir it up and you just have to go with it.... well folks, we had good plans to have a little Christmas just the 3 of us (Andy, Daisy and I).... and now, it will be Andy in who knows where and Daisy and I either in Georgia or Maryland...we haven't determined that yet.

You see... I got a call one day while at work from my husband. He's deploying, he said. To Afghanistan. My heart dropped, my voice shook and the tears came. I knew this day would come, but so soon? And then the next week we found out the date. December 17th. Not even 3 months notice.... but then again, why would the Army give us that much notice? They don't care. This is my husbands job, this is what he signed up for... we knew this day would be coming, but it still doesn't make it any easier. Imagine all of your plans that you have dreamt about, gone. I hate the fact that I cannot plan a vacation to the bahamas because I don't know if my husband will be able to take leave, I hate the fact that I cannot buy a plane ticket because I don't know if they will change his orders, I hate the fact that I cannot buy a house because we don't know how long we will be here.... but I do love the fact that my husband has enough courage to stand up and fight for what he believes in. Even if it does mean going to war.

So... my friends and family... do me a favor. Hug those you love, tell your loved ones how much they mean to you... because in a few short months, I don't know when the next hug from my husband will be.

Life is short. Don't live with regret.... and make each moment count.




(on a side note.... I am very thankful for the military and what they DO do for us... it's just not always an easy life).

3 comments:

  1. Oh, Randi, this just breaks my heart for you! December 17? They couldn't just wait til after Christmas? I'm so sorry to hear this; although you knew it was coming, it's still hard to face it. It hits so close to my heart, as I know I will be facing this in just a few years myself when my husband completes medical school and goes active duty for the Air Force. I'm so proud of Andy for stepping up to protect our country. And I know you are too! I will be praying for you both, and for your families, as you prepare for this time of separation. Enjoy the next few months together. The good thing is: He will be here for Thanksgiving and almost ALL of the Christmas season. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just came across your blog...here's to hoping you enjoy your time together before he leaves. That's hard!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prayers going your way;( I'm grateful Andy is so brave for all of us with freedom. My heart breaks for you two over the months he will be gone. Wish I could give you a big hug!!

    ReplyDelete