Monday, February 13, 2012

Valentines = Single Awarness Day!

To me Valentines Day was always single awarness day... I'm not sure I ever had a boyfriend on V-Day... therefore I would put on a happy face and try to make it through that day watching other people get flowers, cards, sweet gifts, and all that other purple, pink and red crap that people liked to give out.

Last year, I was so involved in planning our wedding, since it was just 5 short days after Vday that I didn't even pay attention to the day... the only other 3 amazing v-day's that I had were when my friend Britt sent me flowers and asked me to be her valentine! haha... her boyfriend was deployed and she knew I HATED the holiday, so she was trying to make a single girl smile... and it worked! The other was when my mom brought me flowers to work and my little sister and her "fiddle grahams"... in which they played you are my sunshine and it was adorable... and then a few years ago my SIL had just had surgery, so her husband made dinner and they invited me over for it too... it was awesome!

So what am I getting at? Even now that I'm married, I still hate Valentines day. My husband, hates it even more... I think that's why I am not looking forward to it... I always thought when you finally have that significant other that it will just be even better and brighter and holidays that you don't like, you will love. Ladies, that's not at all how it is... in my case, he hates it even more than I do.

February 14th is not about flowers delivered to your work, chocolates on your table, rose petals on your bed, or candles when you walk in the door... it's about loving your spouse or significant other every day of the year, and showing them every day of the year that they are special and that they mean the world to you.

If Andy sent me flowers, would I love them? yes, but I would love them even more if he bought some from a grocery store and delivered them himself to my work.
If I walked into candle-lit house with music and rose petals, and chocolates would I love it? yes. but then I would wonder where the heck my husband was!

How long has it taken me to come to this realization that my husband is not one to be super romantic... about 16 months... but I love him just the same.

Here's how I look at it...
When other guys would send their women flowers - mine comes to have lunch with me on his days off.
When other guys buy their women chocolates - mine picks up our dog's poop.
When other guys have candles lit and roses all over - mine lays out dinner to be defrosting while I drive home.
When other guys spend one day a year romancing their women - mine spends every day thinking about me and missing me when I'm gone.

You see... I'll take my man over that romantic one any day.


Here's flowers from me to you... now go find the positives in your man and keep on loving him for who he is! :)

1 comment:

  1. i love how you put such a positive and unique spin on what most women would bash their spouses for what they didn't do for them on valentine's day. Like you i have a wonderful husband but not very romantic, but what makes him so special to me is the little things he does, like when i physically can't do housework or cook no matter how tired he is he jumps right in without complaining, or the way when he leaves for work at 5 everyday he gently brushes my hair back and kisses my forehead gently, or the way he holds me so tightly everytime the army takes him away that his body shakes so hard cause he doesn't want to cry, or the way sometimes i catch him coverung me up in middle of the night,or just simply the way he looks at me when he thinks i'm not looking, i could go on and on but these are just some of many reasons i fall in love with my husband more everyday.

    ReplyDelete