Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Thankful for 7 short years!

I was going to do this post on Veterans day, but I wanted to dedicate that thankful post to the Soldiers...
Today I am thankful for the time I had with my dad...

November 11th (Veterans day) was also my dad's birthday. He would have been 55 this year. This year is also the 20th anniversary of his death.

It's funny, some days it doesn't affect me at all... I mean, I'm sad that he's gone... but I can tell you anything you wanted to hear and not shed a tear... and then there's weeks like this week where I hear the song that was played at his funeral and bawl all the way home from work... and by all the way, I mean all 60 minutes of it, or cry myself to sleep at night wondering why he was taken when we were so young.

I wouldn't trade how my life played out for anything. Things happen for a reason, and I'm a firm believer in that... but at the same time, I think it's alright for me to be sad about certain events.
I was lucky enough to have known my dad for 7 years... that doesn't sound like alot, and it really wasn't... but it was enough to impact me for the rest of my life.

I love to hear stories from my grandma, aunts and uncles of how he was... because that was the Randy that we never got to experience. I can paint a picture of what happened the day he died, where we were, the car ride to the emergency room, seeing him in the hospital bed... but I couldn't tell you what we did for my 7th birthday... or where he took us for "dates".

Dad...  I wish you were here to see how happy I am, to meet Andy, to hold your grandbaby, to see JD and the amazing father that he has turned out to be, to meet his beautiful wife Jade... and so much more... You told us to be strong without you and we are, as much as we can. We miss you everyday and think about you all the time. Thank you for the years we had with you.



Update at 8:30 AM....

VERY thankful for a mother who let me cry bawl my eyes out last night on the phone. I am VERY emotional this week.. and it's not even "that time"... so I am not sure what is going on. Maybe I just needed a good cry? well I got it! and today my face is puffy and I am  still sniffling. I think an early bed time is in store!
Thanks mom!




No comments:

Post a Comment